ABOUT TOP 10 SOCIAL PROBLEMS SIMULATION
For the third year in a row, millennials who participated in the World Economic Forum’s Global Shapers Survey 2017 believe climate change is the most serious issue affecting the world today.
Nearly half (48.8%) of the survey participants chose climate change as their top concern, and 78.1% said they would be willing to change their lifestyle to protect the environment.
Survey respondents were also in near unequivocal agreement over the cause of climate change. Over 91% of respondents answered “agree” and “strongly agree” with the statement “science has proven that humans are responsible for climate change.”
Despite the dire state of the world today — and the stereotype that millennials’ are selfish and apathetic — the generation aged 18 to 35 cares deeply about global issues, and they’re determined to tackle them.
Below are the top-10 most concerning world issues, according to millennials.
- Climate change / destruction of nature (48.8%)
- Large scale conflict / wars (38.9%)
- Inequality (income, discrimination) (30.8%)
- Poverty (29.2%)
- Religious conflicts (23.9%)
- Government accountability and transparency / corruption (22.7%)
- Food and water security (18.2%)
- Lack of education (15.9%)
- Safety / security / well being (14.1%)
- Lack of economic opportunity and unemployment (12.1%)